Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I've got my Chai, who could ask for anything more?


In the battle of Chai Royale, one cup of liquid yummy stands above the rest...

The challengers: Starbucks, Caribou Coffee and Beaners.

I was on a quest to find the best cup of Chai Tea in the Great Lakes state. My first thought was that Starbucks would walk away with the mucho yummy medal, but like a good Rocky movie, the underdog rose to the top.

Starbucks Chai came off flat. It was watery and didn't have enough spices. I've tried their chai tea several times and in several different locations and it never gets any better. But at least this chain gets an 'A' for consistency.

Caribou Coffee Chai comes in second place. Its chai tea is smooth and full of flavor. Plus, this unique Michigan chain has the most comfy atmosphere including a fireplace in the middle of the room. It's hard to beat a place where you feel like you're snugly in a log cabin in New Hampshire. Caribou get the best atmosphere award by a long shot.

Drum rolls please--and the winner of the Chai Battle Royale goes to...Beaners. Their chai tea is dreamy! It's like your sipping on something Heaven-sent, my tongue felt so delighted it wanted to do backflips. I ordered mine with soy milk and the fresh aroma of chai spices made my nose feel like it could fly or do something fantastic.

Who needs coffee when you can chai it?

*Hat tip to my brother for taking me to Beaners and treating me a Caribou.

6 comments:

David Zimmerman said...

Umm, you could ask for more Chai. That thing is puny. I didn't know Caribou is a Michigan-based chain; we have them in the Chicago area. No Beaners to my knowledge.

Karen said...

More chai is never a bad idea. ;)

Ann said...

Just wondering if you asked for no water in your Chai when you went to Starbucks.I also love chai and I had bought one in Mayfaire in N.C and it was awesome I came back to N.Y. and could not find one that tasted like the one in Wilmy until this girl asked me if I wanted a Chai with waer or without and she made it without water and it was very spicey and delicious.

sports events updates said...

You're so pretty :)

Karen said...

Thanks.

Karen said...

Ann, I usually go for soy milk in mine. There was one time when a lady asks me if I wanted water in mine. By the time I got back to the car I ended up throwing it away. I just don't buy stuff from that Starbucks anymore. Maybe they were a little off because it was a new location but, oh well.